Πέμπτη 28 Φεβρουαρίου 2019

Pilot Study to Evaluate the Adjunct Use of a Povidone-Iodine Topical Antiseptic in Patients with Soft Tissue Abscesses

Publication date: Available online 27 February 2019

Source: The Journal of Emergency Medicine

Author(s): Adriana Segura Olson, Lauren Rosenblatt, Nicholas Salerno, Julie Odette, Ronnie Ren, Tatiana Emanuel, Joel Michalek, Qianqian Liu, Liem Du, Kourosh Jahangir, Gillian R. Schmitz

Abstract
Background

Povidone-iodine (PVP-I) antiseptic solutions have been shown to be effective against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcal aureus, a common cause of superficial skin abscesses.

Objectives

Our objective was to study the feasibility of using PVP-I as a treatment adjunct in patients with superficial skin abscesses and determine if it confers any benefit over incision and drainage (I&D) alone.

Methods

This was a randomized controlled pilot study of adult patients with an uncomplicated skin abscess. Patients were randomized to PVP-I or standard treatment. All patients had I&D and abscess packing. Patients randomized to PVP-I were instructed on daily application of the agent to hands, wound, and surrounding skin with dressing changes. Subjects returned at 48–72 h and 7–10 days and followed-up by phone at 30 days. The primary outcome was clinical cure 7–10 days after I&D. The secondary outcomes were rate of development of new skin lesions and spread in household contacts within 30 days.

Results

Clinical cure occurred in 91.3% of patients in the standard group vs. 88.2% of patients in the PVP-I group (difference, 3.1%; 95% confidence interval [CI] −10.7 to 16.8; p = 0.53). There was a significantly higher adverse event rate in the group who received PVP-I (59.6%) vs. standard care (26.5%) (difference 33.1%, 95% CI 13.2–50.2; p < 0.001).

Conclusions

There was no difference in clinical cure rates among patients using PVP-I (88.2%) vs. standard care (91.3%) after I&D. There were no major adverse events, but the addition of PVP-I was commonly associated with local skin irritation.



from Emergency Medicine via xlomafota13 on Inoreader https://ift.tt/2Vu0rE6

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου

Δημοφιλείς αναρτήσεις