The slave trades out of Africa represent one of the most significant forced migration experiences in history. In this paper, I illustrate their long-term consequences on contemporaneous socio-economic outcomes, drawing from my own previous work on the topic and from an extensive review of the available literature. I first consider the influence of the slave trade on the “sending” countries in Africa, with attention to their economic, institutional, demographic, and social implications. Next, I evaluate the consequences of the slave trade on the “receiving” countries in the Americas. Here, I distinguish between the case of Latin America and that of the USA. Overall, I show that the slave trades exert a lasting impact along several contemporaneous socio-economic dimensions and across diverse areas of the world.JEL Classification: J47, J15, O15, N30, P48, Z10
from Emergency Medicine via xlomafota13 on Inoreader http://ift.tt/2iCH5Jp
Εγγραφή σε:
Σχόλια ανάρτησης (Atom)
Δημοφιλείς αναρτήσεις
-
Abstract The application of statistics has been instrumental in clarifying our understanding of the genome. While insights have been deriv...
-
Abstract Chronic exposure to high altitude may lead to hyperuricemia. We investigated the prevalence of hyperuricemia and its risk factors...
-
Paramedic Charles Robichaud calls on voters to consider him as a write-in candidate in the 2016 presidential election from EMS via xlomafo...
-
Publication date: Available online 17 January 2018 Source: The Journal of Emergency Medicine Author(s): Jason M. Block, Chris F. Allison,...
-
Abstract In this paper, a new approach is proposed to extract an ordered sequence of curvilinear structures in images, capturing the large...
-
Can We Reduce Frame Rate to 15 Images per Second in Pediatric Videofluoroscopic Swallow Studies? Abstract Videofluoroscopic Swallow studies ...
-
Objectives: To evaluate test validity of the Pediatric Confusion Assessment Method for the ICU, the Pediatric Anesthesia Emergence Delirium...
Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:
Δημοσίευση σχολίου