Objectives: Assessment of whether admission plasma troponin I level is associated with mortality or requirement for vasoactive drugs in pediatric intensive care. Design: Retrospective cohort study. Setting: Single centre, tertiary referral general PICU, without a cardiac surgical program. Patients: Three hundred and nineteen patients 0-18 years old in two cohorts. Cohort 1 was admitted between January 2009 and September 2012 and the cohort 2 between April 2014 and April 2015. Interventions: None. Measurements and Main Results: Plasma troponin I was measured in patients in cohort 1 only if the attending physician ordered the test due to clinical concern regarding myocardial injury. The second cohort had plasma troponin I routinely measured at admission. The primary outcome was death during PICU admission, and the secondary outcome was maximum inotrope requirement during PICU stay, measured by Vasoactive Inotrope Score. Plasma troponin I was a discriminator for mortality in both cohorts (area under the receiver-operating characteristic curve of 0.73 and 0.86 in cohorts 1 and 2, respectively). In an adjusted analysis using Cox regression, accounting for Pediatric Index of Mortality 2 risk of mortality and age, elevated plasma troponin I was significantly associated with death in both cohorts (hazard ratio, 4.99; p = 0.033; hazard ratio, 10.5; p = 0.026 in cohorts 1 and 2, respectively). Elevated plasma troponin I was only associated with increased Vasoactive Inotrope Score following multivariate analysis in the cohort 2. Conclusions: Detectable plasma troponin I at admission to PICU is independently associated with death. The utility of troponin I as a stratification biomarker requires further evaluation. (C)2016The Society of Critical Care Medicine and the World Federation of Pediatric Intensive and Critical Care Societies
from Emergency Medicine via xlomafota13 on Inoreader http://ift.tt/297bfW4
Εγγραφή σε:
Σχόλια ανάρτησης (Atom)
Δημοφιλείς αναρτήσεις
-
Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is the leading cause of death among trauma patients. Patients under antithrombotic therapy (ATT) carry an incre...
-
Abstract Background To investigate the relationships between sagittal parameters and health-related quality of life (HRQOL) scores follo...
-
ABSTRACTBackgroundEarly treatment with valproic acid (VPA) has demonstrated benefit in pre-clinical models of traumatic brain injury (TBI), ...
-
Annals of Vascular Surgery from Emergency Medicine via xlomafota13 on Inoreader http://ift.tt/2oHXHVR
-
Background Pulmonary contusion is a common injury that often results in priming for exaggerated inflammatory responses to a second hit. Prev...
-
Abstract Background Lichtenstein repair is standard practice for inguinal herniorrhaphy, but there is increasing public concern in the u...
-
Abstract Markerless genetic engineering of bacterial genomes is commonly performed by two-step homologous recombination methods using vect...
-
Abstract Background Despite a trend towards minimally invasive thoracic surgeries over thoracotomies, patients can still experience signi...
Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:
Δημοσίευση σχολίου